Sunday, July 3, 2011

Iran to toally seal its borders with Pakistan And Afghanistan by 2015

Tehran determined to completely seal off its eastern borders with Afghanistan and Pakistan by 2015 to stop drug smuggling and infiltration and intrusion of armed groups,bandit,human traffikers and other kinds,a police chief on Saturday said. “About 90% of Iran’s eastern borders have already been sealed,” General Esmaeil Ahmadi Moghaddam said. “The remaining 10%, in the region of Saravan (near the southeastern border with Pakistan) will be closed within 3 years,” he added. “The border will be sealed even to pedestrians.” In early 1990, Iran began to build a “wall” to seal its approximately 1,800 kilometre-long border with its neighbours to control drug trafficking and infiltration of armed rebel groups or bandits. The border wall usually consists simply of fencing and barbed wire, is supported by a thousand kilometres of embankments, ditches, canals or concrete walls. According to official figures, some 3,700 members of Iran’s security forces have died in a 3 decade long confrontation with drug traffickers and armed groups, often equipped with heavy weapons in the restive eastern provinces of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment